[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming GA vote

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Fri Oct 27 12:09:44 EEST 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-10-25 21:30:10)
> Hi Anton
>
> first let me say, this looks much better setup than the previous attempt by jb
>
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 11:15:19PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > as discussed at the dev meeting at VDD, we need to have a series of
> > votes, the first of which concerns defining when is the GA voter list to
> > be updated.
> >
> > As the previous attempt to vote on this was hampered by email delivery
> > issues, and also criticized due to inadequate advance announcement, the
> > vote was closed and we are going to try again.
> >
> > This time, to avoid any confusion, let me clearly state that this is a
> > declaration of intent to initiate a GA vote next Monday (2023-10-30),
> > unless there are substantial objections.
> >
> > The vote question will be:
> >    How do we update the list of active members of the general assembly?
> >
> > Proposed possibilities so far are:
> > * twice a year (1st Jan & 1st July)
> >   (suggested at VDD)
> > * before each vote
> >   (suggested at VDD)
> > * never (keep the 2020 version)
> >   (suggested at VDD)
> > * keep everyone who had vote rights but add active developers each jan/july
> >   (suggested by Michael on the ML)
> >
> > Feel welcome to propose additional possibilities until Friday
> > 2023-10-27.
> >
> > Other constructive comments also welcome.
>
> First i suggest s#jan/july#1st Jan & 1st July#
>
> Second i suggest to pick a time too, like 0:00 UTC

Both of these sound reasonable to me, I'll reword first and last
possibility to state it's 1st of that month 0:00 UTC.

> Third, for future votes i suggest to lengthen the period of
> proposing of additional possibilities. Here we all maybe have seen this already
> but. If this was new than 2-3 days really is too short. That period needs
> to include discussion and thinking for a person who might be working 8 hour
> a day on something unrelated to FFmpeg.

I agree in general that it would be good to have at least two weeks, but
in this case this has been proposed and discussed a month ago already.

--
Anton Khirnov