[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Oct 27 15:20:58 EEST 2023

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 06:28:25PM -0700, Kieran Kunhya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 at 12:41, Thilo Borgmann via ffmpeg-devel <
> ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>
> > Of course. FFmpeg has a donations account. So the money is already there
> > and
> > already used for the reimbursement requests. Whatever we spent it for
> > needs to
> > be decided by the community. Spending more money instead of just watch it
> > growing is a good thing. That this will lead to more "disaster" is an
> > assumption
> > without basis. Even if this does happen and fails, its still better than
> > not
> > having even tried.
> >

> Reimbursement requests for clearly defined things like travel costs with
> receipts, or hardware that the project owns is in no way comparable to
> consulting work, contracts, statements of work etc. And the current swscale
> proposal is far from this too.
[...]
> Agreement via mailing list for money is a recipe for disaster. What we need
> are clear statements of work that are voted on by TC.
> We can't even agree on patch reviews, throwing money into the mix is
> throwing gasoline into the fire.

GSoC pays about 5000USD for each individual over the summer. The proposals
for such projects where discussed and agreed upon with very little if any
disagreement. We needed no formal votes, we needed no comittees

and also for patches, you can pick out the 10 most controversal ones in a year
and these are highly vissible, but there are thousands that are reviewed
and applied by consensus with noone objecting.

You seem to pick the most controversal things as reference, and argue that
it cant work. 1 of a 100 patches got stuck in fights so 90 of 100 funding
proposals would get stuck ?

Now we still have no proposals for SPI money, but assume we do.
either we all agree or theres someone who publically objects, in the later
case we will first try to reach an agreement if that fails. We can vote,
its not a big deal.

If you think the mosad wants you dead since a long time then you are either
wrong or dead since a long time.