[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Oct 27 18:38:25 EEST 2023

Le perjantaina 27. lokakuuta 2023, 18.08.54 EEST Thilo Borgmann via ffmpeg-
devel a écrit :
> > Do you seriously think this project will have a sudden outbreak of
> > professionalism and suddenly start producing detailed contracts and
> > statements of work?
>
> The current level appear appealing enough to try and see.

So I have been working in 3 different large tech multinationals in the past two
decades, and recently I have been in the technical role on the purchasing end.

And I can only agree with Kieran. What I have seen so far is exactly that:

> > It'll end up being a few lines on the mailing list.

> Just your pessimistic assumption.

You can call it pessimistic. But it is not realistic to expect people here to
even bother to write or review a proper statement of work. This is really
tedious and boring. And that's not even going into the obvious risk of
bikesheding or flamewar if people do actually decide to participate in the
drafting or reviewing.

Now if SPI had 1M$ in the bank for FFmpeg, then I admit that it could make
sense to just bite the bullet and go through that tedious process. But it does
not, it does not look like it will have any time soon.

Frankly, if you and Michael want to pitch that approach, I would advise
against it, but you have every rights to do so anyway (and I hope nobody here
actively undermines you). However, also hope that the GA would reject spending
what little SPI money has for the wishful thinking that it would kickstart
sustainable financing for FFmpeg development.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/