[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Oct 27 18:24:58 EEST 2023

   Hi,

Le perjantaina 27. lokakuuta 2023, 15.24.38 EEST Thilo Borgmann via ffmpeg-
devel a écrit :
> [...]
additional funding going via SPI, as opposed to:
> >> obviously transparency and community control. None of which is given by
> >> the options you list.>
> > Do you want transparency there? This is *not* about having open source
> > code and the public code review.

> Yes, absolutely. We are an *open* project.

This is about the funding organisation(s) and the recipient developer(s) in
need of sustainable funding. While my income is public (if you know where to
look), I sincerely doubt that many people *here* would want theirs published.
I rather think that they would see it as a major intrusion to their privacy.

I too prefer standard specifications and source code open, but this is about
people's personal information, not source code. Whether you like it or not,
that really is a *downside* of going through the mailing list or the GA,
simply because it is a major turn-off. If SPI requires going through the
mailing list, then that is also a downside of going through SPI.

> > Using SPI money would hypothetically be an option if there was enough
> > money. Currently there is not.
> There is enough budget to fund several of the smaller tasks Michael
> proposed.

But that has nothing to do with building a sustainable OSS development
ecosystem. Funding small tasks is great to get students to work their summer
on FFmpeg rather than writing proprietary business code at a local web company
(at least if you have willing mentors).

But Michael specifically framed this "financial sustainability plan" for grown-
up adult "developers [who] no longer live with their parents". It is *not*
sustainable to fund them with 5000€ bounties. At that point in our lives, most
people would need somewhat stable income, both for financial and psychological
well-being.

If you have a credible plan for SPI to get enough income to provide that kind
of stable income to even one developer, then by all mean, lets see that plan.
But I don't see it. Offering bounties is a complete waste of time and money in
this regard (it might be a good idea for other purposes, but that's a different
discussion).

> >> Hen & egg.
> >
> > What? Why do you need to start spending money before you can have ideas of
> > cool projects? That makes zero sense to me.
> What? Michael asked specifically to propose cool projects.

And I asked why it would be better to fund those hypothetical projects through
SPI rather than privately and directly.

--
レミ・デニ-クールモン
http://www.remlab.net/