[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Oct 27 19:05:51 EEST 2023

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 06:24:58PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>    Hi,

> additional funding going via SPI, as opposed to:
> > > Do you want transparency there? This is *not* about having open source
> > > code and the public code review.
>
> > Yes, absolutely. We are an *open* project.
>
> This is about the funding organisation(s) and the recipient developer(s) in
> need of sustainable funding. While my income is public (if you know where to
> look), I sincerely doubt that many people *here* would want theirs published.
> I rather think that they would see it as a major intrusion to their privacy.
>
> I too prefer standard specifications and source code open, but this is about
> people's personal information, not source code. Whether you like it or not,
> that really is a *downside* of going through the mailing list or the GA,
> simply because it is a major turn-off.

Isnt this the same for all options of full time payment we have ?

Consider FFlabs, you can look at who is being paid by FFlabs, its being
mentioned in various places.
Then look at what these people do, so you know what they are paid for.

It may give the impression of more privacy but iam not sure it really
is that much more private.

the list of contractors and employees for such a company would have to
be kept secret and people would need to use a pseudonym. use TOR
and so on.
That said, using a pseudonym is possible with SPI too to some extend.
One can just use a pseudonym, seperate mail address, TOR to post a
proposal. And if one likes, privately tell interrested parties who they
are. SPI will need their real name i think and this will IIUC be
known to the banks and government and so on. So its not full
anonymity but maybe its similar to the light privacy other companies
provide

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates