[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Oct 27 19:14:04 EEST 2023

Le perjantaina 27. lokakuuta 2023, 19.05.51 EEST Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> > This is about the funding organisation(s) and the recipient developer(s)
> > in
> > need of sustainable funding. While my income is public (if you know where
> > to look), I sincerely doubt that many people *here* would want theirs
> > published. I rather think that they would see it as a major intrusion to
> > their privacy.
> >
> > I too prefer standard specifications and source code open, but this is
> > about people's personal information, not source code. Whether you like it
> > or not, that really is a *downside* of going through the mailing list or
> > the GA, simply because it is a major turn-off.
>
> Isnt this the same for all options of full time payment we have ?

> Consider FFlabs, you can look at who is being paid by FFlabs, its being
> mentioned in various places.
> Then look at what these people do, so you know what they are paid for.

I don't know if FFlabs publishes the payments it makes to its consultants, so
I can't answer your question. But it sounds odd, as I would expect that that
would violate privacy laws. All FFlabs seems to publish is who their
consultants are, not what they work on or for.

> It may give the impression of more privacy but iam not sure it really
> is that much more private.

In most countries, individual income is more or less confidential while
business contracts have business secrecy.

Even here, I know at least one of my colleagues has applied to have their
taxable income delisted on the basis of GDPR.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/