[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release 6.1

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 19:56:13 EEST 2023

On 10/28/2023 1:49 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 06:04:41PM +0200, Lynne wrote:
>> It's been a while since we've had a release, and we've had
>> a lot of new features in.
>> We did say we would make releases more often, and I think
>> it's about time we have a new release.
>>
>> Anything anyone wants to have merged or should we branch
>> off 6.1 in a few days?
>
> Whats the status of this ?
> I can branch 6.1 anytime
>
> It was just that jb told me
> "6.1 opportunity is gone.
>   We're too late on the schedule, and noone had time to work on it, so it is wiser to target 7.0 in January"
>
> but now i see on IRC
> <Lynne> make a damn release already
> <durandal_1707> j-b: drop MiNi from release maintership and nominate Lynne
> <Lynne> I pledge to bring back /slap IRC messages to those who fail to push the patches they want for release!
> <j-b> durandal_1707: good point, we should look at doing another 5.1.x release and a 6.0.x release.
>
> noone mentioned 5.1.x and 6.0.x to me before

Point releases are in general up to you. 6.0 could have gotten one
during the past few months, to be honest, but unless there were critical
bugs there was probably no hurry.

> anyway, ill try to make releases from all maintained branches,
>
> and will branch 6.1 as soon as Lynne or others say everything is ready.

I'd branch a 6.1 with the tree in its current state (doesn't need to be
right now, i mean API wise). 7.0 will feature a major bump and
deprecated API removal, so it'd be nice to have one more release with
the current sonames.
And IMO it's fine if we release 7.0 in January despite not having much
development done post 6.1. But i want other people's opinions.

I forgot, which release was supposed to be LTS? 6.0 or 6.1?