[FFmpeg-devel] VDD conference invitation - Dublin 22-24 Sept 2023

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Sep 8 16:09:49 EEST 2023

On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 07:42:17PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
[...]
> Propose a talk, from 5min to 30min.

As i will not be at the conference, here are some quick words

In the past, most developers in FFmpeg where primarly FFmpeg developers. But as FFmpeg is
used by almost everyone now, that has changed and many developers in FFmpeg today are
primarly developer of 3rd party projects using FFmpeg.

Should decissions in FFmpeg be made to maximize benefit / be optimal for FFmpeg ?

There has been a marked shift of project goals over the years. While long ago FFmpeg
was "all of multimedia". With time the scope of the project has shrunk.
FFserver was removed not improved, not replaced.
the video encoder core we had, which encoded from mpeg1 to mpeg4, msmpeg*, rv* and others
and at the time was the best encoder available (not anymore now, no) but after mpeg4-asp,
modern video encoders where no longer added to ffmpeg. In one case a advanced encoder for a fringe
format was rejected. AI based filters are neglegted at a time everything is shifting
to neural networks and AI. Clientside / "in browser" also has become very important but
is absent from our documentation, our fate tests, and so on

Whats the scope of FFmpeg ?
And is this direction that is taken optimal for FFmpeg, and what people want ?

Elect your leaders based on what they did after the last election, not
based on what they say before an election.