[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg release 6.1

Niklas Haas ffmpeg at haasn.xyz
Wed Sep 20 15:47:19 EEST 2023

On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 21:16:08 +0200 Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> what about merging libplacebo into FFmpeg for example ?
> As far as iam concerned you can have absolute final power about anything
> in that libplacebo inside FFmpeg.

To respond quickly to this point,

I'm not sure what merging libplacebo would improve to the status quo. As
far as I can tell, it would only make my life harder, at least if you
expect me to start caring about patches sent to the mailing list (as
opposed to using PR/MRs as I do currently).

I'm not sure what the goal would be, either, except dragging more code
into FFmpeg. Code that can easily live outside it, because the degree of
interoperation between the two is minimal. All relevant distros already
package both libplacebo and FFmpeg, so the "ease of distribution" ship
has sailed.

It would also make libplacebo releases now tied to FFmpeg releases,
which is an obvious downgrade for my own reverse dependents and a
significant downgrade to my current release process. The FFmpeg ABI
policy also seems wholly incompatible with the libplacebo ABI policy.