[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg release 6.1

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Sep 20 21:00:02 EEST 2023

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 02:47:19PM +0200, Niklas Haas wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 21:16:08 +0200 Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> > what about merging libplacebo into FFmpeg for example ?
> > As far as iam concerned you can have absolute final power about anything
> > in that libplacebo inside FFmpeg.
>
> To respond quickly to this point,
>
> I'm not sure what merging libplacebo would improve to the status quo. As

Code in libavfilter could more deeply depend on / integrate with libplacebo

> far as I can tell, it would only make my life harder, at least if you
> expect me to start caring about patches sent to the mailing list (as
> opposed to using PR/MRs as I do currently).

Well, _I_ dont mind how you manage libplacebo.

> I'm not sure what the goal would be, either, except dragging more code
> into FFmpeg. Code that can easily live outside it, because the degree of
> interoperation between the two is minimal. All relevant distros already
> package both libplacebo and FFmpeg, so the "ease of distribution" ship
> has sailed.

Well the goal is to have some sort of lib that unifies swscale, libplacebo
and similar into code that provides high performance, high quality, CPU and
GPU based convertion. And this really needs to be "close" to libavfilter if
libavfilter would use it.

> It would also make libplacebo releases now tied to FFmpeg releases,
> which is an obvious downgrade for my own reverse dependents and a
> significant downgrade to my current release process.

We must avoid downgrades

> The FFmpeg ABI
> policy also seems wholly incompatible with the libplacebo ABI policy.

i am not sure what the libplacebo ABI policy is

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes