[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release 6.1

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Sep 26 20:16:30 EEST 2023

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 05:30:19PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-26 17:09:47)
> > On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 11:13:40AM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > > Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-22 11:27:54)
> > >
> > > Well, you should not have spoken for the entire project without
> > > consulting the rest of the community first. Nobody here is entitled to
> >
> > This statement is a little misleading, i think
> >
> > Iam part of the community, i would think and for 99% of the tweets made
> > on the official twitter account i have never been asked or even had a
> > chance to comment before they where made. So what you suggest here is
> > "the correct way", has never been applied.
>
> This is disingenuous sophistry, and honestly I find it insulting that
> you expect people to swallow it.
>
> You made the tweet in question long after it was clear that the feature
> is controversial. Then you tried to use it as an argument in favor of
> pushing SDR to master. In other words, you used the fact that you have
> Twitter posting rights to promote your opinion over that of other
> developers. If that is not abuse of power then I don't know what is.

ok
I wrote a SDR input device for free, wanted to give it to the users
as i believed it was a cool and usefull feature

i tried to argue for it, i tried to promote it.
And as the person doing all releases of FFmpeg since a very long time
i thought yeah we will be able to resolve the disagreements and get it
in 6.1 with everyone geing happy.
I was wrong, i announced this before i actually got people to agree yes
I still belive if people where not so "excited" on this whole and if it
was just a technical question we could get SDR in 6.1 with everyone
agreeing.
But now heres a man to be burned at the stake, and thats more important.

abuse of power ?
If its abuse of power to risk my position in FFmpeg to try to get users a feature
i belive in they would like and find cool then yes i abused my power.

Should i ask the counter-question ?
are the developers who have less than 10 commits since 2017 abusing something
by organizing and rallying the people against SDR, against the domain owner
and against me ?

Without that, i do belive we could have gotten SDR with everyone being happy
in 6.1

Anyway, i appologize for announcing SDR in 6.1. I was too much in love with
SDR and how cool it would be ...

I guess there will be votes to remove me from everything.
But dont fear, i will not abuse anything, i will resign from everything that
a correct vote asks me to resign from.

Thx

Dictatorship: All citizens are under surveillance, all their steps and
actions recorded, for the politicians to enforce control.
Democracy: All politicians are under surveillance, all their steps and
actions recorded, for the citizens to enforce control.