[FFmpeg-devel] VDD 2023, FFmpeg meeting notes, (23-11-2023, 4pm, Dublin)

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Tue Sep 26 22:26:44 EEST 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-24 18:45:37)
> > I believe the GA should have sole control and ownership over the domain and
> > trademark. I suggested to kindly ask Fabrice to transfer ownership and/or
> > legal control permanently to a non-profit controlled by and composed of
> > only our GA. I believe this can be amicably worked out.  If you believe
> > Fabrice should continue to have *some* (although not *sole*) say over
> > FFmpeg and ffmpeg.org, then we could propose for him to be a GA member,
> > too. I think that makes a lot of sense - he historically has a ton more
> > work in FFmpeg than me.
>
> I disagree
> * Who is and is not a member of the GA is in flux, there can be disputes
>   even on GA membership.
> * You cannot have something owned by a group like that. There needs to be
>   an individual like a treassurer who has the actual key.
>   So you again trust one person, this is not different from what it is
>   now.
>
> Also democracies can make really bad decissions. Which iam sure you have
> never seen occur ;)

So can individuals. Would you rather live in a democracy or an
autocracy?

Fabrice has not been a part of this project for the majority of its
existence (he has <10 commits after 2003). What makes you think he is
more qualified to judge what's good for the project than its actual
developers.

--
Anton Khirnov