[FFmpeg-devel] SDR lib comments

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Sep 29 01:18:03 EEST 2023

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 12:05:56AM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Le 28 septembre 2023 22:28:35 GMT+03:00, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> a écrit :
> >On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 12:28:22PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> >> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-23 18:43:44)

> >> we've had postproc in the tree for ages, nobody maintains it or
> >> cares about it, yet it seems impossible to get rid of it.
> >
> >what maintaince does it need ?
> >i mean i know the code is ugly but what _needs_ to be changed?
>
> This is rather disingenous, TBH. All non-trivial code needs maintenance.
>
> If there is no formal proof that the code is perfect, then it's probably bugged. And for the sake of the argument, if there were such a proof, it would need to be maintained as the code around changes, so either wayw that's maintenance.
>
> Then you also can't really ascertain that the code won't need fixes for future build environments and code auditing tools.
>
> And then you have all the more or less hidden costs of keeping code around, especially if it's unmaintained : people will enable it (if it's even disabled by default), hit problems and look for support.
>
> And as a downstream OSS application developer, I'd really rather postproc be officially and properly dropped, so I can justify dropping it downstream as well.
>

> But at least, postproc doesn't engender extra traffic on this mailing list much at all. More or less nobody here can or wants to review or test your SDR code. I think, more so than ffmpeg.git being ill-suited a source code repository for SDR because it is so niche and loosely related, ffmpeg-devel is simply not suited for SDR. The skills are not here, the time and motivation are not here, not to speak of the good will.

My reply was only about libpostproc, I was intending to just ask what exactly
needs to be done in libpostproc (aka maintaince)

i had not intended to somehow refer to anything else. I should have snipped
the other bits of the quoted thread probably

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle