[FFmpeg-devel] STF SoWs

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Feb 6 17:14:57 EET 2024

On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 09:18:20AM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2024 at 9:06 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> >       2. Deliverables
> > Patches submitted for review to the FFMPEG dev mailing list.
> >

> I think the goal is to get patches merged, not submitted.

Yes but the individual developer cannot gurantee that.
Nor can we accept a patch before we see it

What the individual developer can gurantee is to provide a correct patch
fixing the problem.

This is similar to GSoC, the student has to finish the work that was
agreed. And pass teh mentors review. If the open source project decides
not to merge it thats not affecting the student.

I would never sign a contract that requires me to merge code into git master
and i would also not recommand anyone else to sign such contract. That said
i never had a customer had a problem with that. I do try to get code through
review its just that in rare cases someone fundamentally disagrees and
a change cannot be put in git master.

Its a recipe for conflict between teh community and whoever signed such
contract.

Also here we have STF which pays for maintaince, not for individual bug fixes
in master. So making an exception makes even less sense here

Old school: Use the lowest level language in which you can solve the problem
            conveniently.
New school: Use the highest level language in which the latest supercomputer
            can solve the problem without the user falling asleep waiting.