[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Vote STF/SPI 2024-02

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 17:14:55 EET 2024

On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 9:11 PM Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> Le torstaina 1. helmikuuta 2024, 19.45.52 EET Vittorio Giovara a écrit :
> > The same of course should apply to any other future funding, it must be
> > either the community (via GA) or a third party setting up the
> sponsorship.
>
> Neither the community or the GA can forbid people from seeking funding for
> themselves. I suppose that, in theory, developers could be required to
> sign an
> agreement to that effect before they are allowed to submit code for
> inclusion,
> but that seems neither practical, nor desirable to me.
>
> That is probably not what you meant, but that is what this reads like.

Yeah that's not what I meant, sorry for the confusion: what I meant was
whoever secures the funding, then cannot be directly funded for any of the
projects attributed in the current funding.
This might be counterintuitive and possibly controversial, but the goal
here is to distinguish benefiting the community and benefiting oneself as
well as avoid losing a possible funding: I would really like to avoid that
we miss out on funding out of fear that whoever found the funding will
strongarm the community into accepting something that the community may
reject.
In other words, this is both protection for the community and for whoever
finds the funding.

I don't know how enforce-able it is, or if it is something that can
actually facilitate accepting future funding for the community, but since
we're in a time crunch and we're voting with unanswered open questions, it
is something we should at least consider.
--
Vittorio