[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Vote STF/SPI 2024-02

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Feb 1 22:10:59 EET 2024

Le torstaina 1. helmikuuta 2024, 19.45.52 EET Vittorio Giovara a écrit :
> The same of course should apply to any other future funding, it must be
> either the community (via GA) or a third party setting up the sponsorship.

Neither the community or the GA can forbid people from seeking funding for
themselves. I suppose that, in theory, developers could be required to sign an
agreement to that effect before they are allowed to submit code for inclusion,
but that seems neither practical, nor desirable to me.

That is probably not what you meant, but that is what this reads like.

Frankly, if Thilo secures the funding, it's between him and the German
authorities what they want to spend it on, as long as it remains within the
boundaries of applicable laws. If he can come with a project to fund Michael
to maintain FFmpeg for a while, FFmpeg will be no worse off.

Nobody should claim to represent FFmpeg without any kind of preexisting
delegation to do so. If that was done, then that is very morally wrong. But
realistically, we cannot enforce that. Some people did it in the past and will
continue to do it in the future. It is effectively up the other parties to
perform due diligence and not get fooled - if they even care. STF probably
does not care; NAB most certainly does not care.

Moreover pretenses of this process being open need to be dropped. It's not
open if any and all objections are summarily rejected to put it politely. A
short deadline is not an excuse, even if it was unavoidable. (And I remain
unconvinced that public discussion could not start earlier than they did.)

Ultimately, whatever comes out of this does not get any special exemption from
code review standards and TC oversight, but that should be a given. Therefore
this funding should much preferably be used toward as uncontroversial tasks as
possible: Maintainance is a good example. SDR is a counter-example.

With that long side note, while I agree with most of what you said otherwise,
I don't think that there is any merit to excluding Michael from this process,
doubly so if there are too few viable proposals.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
http://www.remlab.net/