[FFmpeg-devel] STF SoWs

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Feb 7 01:04:49 EET 2024

On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 04:39:51PM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 4:23 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > What i can and did and do suggest is
> > "Patches submitted for review to the FFMPEG dev mailing list. As well as
> > taking care of all reasonable review comments."
> >
> > If "all reasonable review comments" is not enough then what are other
> > review comments ? Obviously it must be UNreasonable review comments
> >

> That's again a strawman. Who decides what is reasonable? Assuming this is
> some community-approved process - e.g. the TC, then how is this different
> from going through TC to get the patch merged?

I think you should sign a SoW that has "Merged in git master" as a
Deliverable for 300 commits you spend half a year of ALL your free time on
This would be best. I will not sign that and it seems you are ok with it.

But lets continue the argument:
Let us first assume there is a blocked set of patches because
otherwise obviously none of this matters.

If you have a contract that says you get payed when code is merged then
you cannot submit an invoice before the code is merged so its up
to you to make that happen. Doing months long debates on the ML bringing
things up to the TC, and there is no gurantee you will succeed or how
long this process would take, it could take months or years. You might
never get payed as the TC might just decide not to agree with you or
might not come to a conclusion.

If you have a contract that says you get payed when you took care of all
reasonable comments then you can submit an invoice once you done that
with documentation what and why is unreasonable.
Now you need to be paid, you can just sit back and wait
In the background FFmpeg and SPI might invoke the TC to verify the
list claimed unreasonable.
If the TC agrees you get paid, and the patches maybe would be applied
If the TC disagrees there would be more work before you are paid
if the TC takes months or comes up with no conclusion. You will need
to be paid

thx

PS: do you have a single person willing to sign this Deliverable you
want ?
If not, how will the STF thing work ?

If you fake or manipulate statistics in a paper in physics you will never
get a job again.
If you fake or manipulate statistics in a paper in medicin you will get
a job for life at the pharma industry.