[FFmpeg-devel] [TC] Decision on FF_INTERNAL_FIELDS in libavfilter

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Feb 13 20:49:47 EET 2024

Hi,

Le 13 février 2024 18:22:46 GMT+02:00, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> a écrit :
>Martin Storsjo (12024-02-13):
>> The main arguments raised were about API consistency, prevention of
>> accidental inclusions, as well as explicitness in marking a field as
>> public or private.
>
>Too bad the committee neglected to ask for the arguments of the people
>who opposed this. Like having a trial and not listening to the defense.

Speaking as an elected member of another OSS project's TC, I believe that the experienced adult developers on the FFmpeg TC are perfectly capable of reading mailing archives and Trac comments as necessary. In fact, I think it is preferable that they stick to arguments made in public, rather than go out of their way to dig up private information.

Or to follow your metaphor, in a trial, the arguments are made before the jury in public sessions. The deliberations of the jury are kept private to shield members from external pressure.

I don't expect that antagonising the TC members will do you, and any potential future arguments of yours, much good.