[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: AVX512-capable laptop

Lynne dev at lynne.ee
Wed Jan 3 02:56:12 EET 2024

As some of you know, my laptop died nearly 2 years ago, and
I've been working on a desktop machine, which is currently a Zen 3.
AVX512 has become more popular in the meantime, with Zen 4
and future AMD CPUs shipping with it, but currently, we have very
little AVX512.
In short, I'd like a machine which runs an AVX512-capable
AMD CPU, and as the world is opening up more and more, I'd
like for it to be portable.

I've looked around a lot, but as Intel still has a firm monopoly,
the options are limited (7940H(S), 7945HX, 7845HX, 8945HS).
What I think I've settled for is an ASUS Vivobook Pro 15, with a
7940HS CPU (the second least powerful Zen 4 mobile CPU),
currently trading for 1999.0 EUR on amazon.de.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Vivobook-Display-R9-7940HS-Windows-Keyboard/dp/B0BRYTS8MR

The other alternative I've found is a Lenovo Legion 7 Pro, but
it's more expensive at 2399 EUR (currently seems temporarily
discounted due to the holidays).
The Lenovo IdeaPad still hasn't been refreshed and uses a Zen 3 CPU,
so it doesn't fit the requirements. I'd take other options, but after
all the looking I did, the only other laptops to feature Zen 4 CPUs are
rather pricy gaming laptops with high-end NVIDIA GPUs, starting at 2500 EUR
and going up.
I'd be happier with the Vivobook. The OLED screen is a nice bonus too.

I'd be open to ARM-based Apple laptops too, but we already have a
shared M1 machine, and I'm not really a big Fedora fan. RISC-V is obviously
still out of the question at this point.

As for my plans for AVX512, I'll first add limited 32-register version of the FFT,
which wouldn't be too hard to do, and looking into modifying the existing
recombination function to work on 16-point basis. I'll also look into
modifying other trivially extendable code like the float_dsp.