[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: AVX512-capable laptop

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 03:22:38 EET 2024

On 1/2/2024 9:56 PM, Lynne wrote:
> As some of you know, my laptop died nearly 2 years ago, and
> I've been working on a desktop machine, which is currently a Zen 3.
> AVX512 has become more popular in the meantime, with Zen 4
> and future AMD CPUs shipping with it, but currently, we have very
> little AVX512.
> In short, I'd like a machine which runs an AVX512-capable
> AMD CPU, and as the world is opening up more and more, I'd
> like for it to be portable.
>
> I've looked around a lot, but as Intel still has a firm monopoly,
> the options are limited (7940H(S), 7945HX, 7845HX, 8945HS).
> What I think I've settled for is an ASUS Vivobook Pro 15, with a
> 7940HS CPU (the second least powerful Zen 4 mobile CPU),

7940HS is the highest Ryzen 9 model from the 7040 series. Not sure where
you got second least powerful from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Ryzen_processors#Phoenix_(7040_series,_Zen_4/RDNA3_based)

> currently trading for 1999.0 EUR on amazon.de.
>
> https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Vivobook-Display-R9-7940HS-Windows-Keyboard/dp/B0BRYTS8MR
>
> The other alternative I've found is a Lenovo Legion 7 Pro, but
> it's more expensive at 2399 EUR (currently seems temporarily
> discounted due to the holidays).

I see a Lenovo Yoga Pro 7 available for 1099 EUR.
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Lenovo-Display-Graphics-Blue-Green-Premium/dp/B0CGLPVQHK/

Same amount of RAM, screen resolution and storage, and a Ryzen 7.

> The Lenovo IdeaPad still hasn't been refreshed and uses a Zen 3 CPU,
> so it doesn't fit the requirements. I'd take other options, but after
> all the looking I did, the only other laptops to feature Zen 4 CPUs are
> rather pricy gaming laptops with high-end NVIDIA GPUs, starting at 2500 EUR
> and going up.

The Vivobook has a discrete Nvidia GTX 4060, which makes it a gaming
focused laptop too.