[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: AVX512-capable laptop

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jan 15 18:01:36 EET 2024

Le maanantaina 15. tammikuuta 2024, 16.59.40 EET Lynne a écrit :
> I've been pinging this for a week now and he hasn't reiterated
> his position again or made it clearer.

I think my position was clear. I don't see the point in rereiterating it
whilst we are evidently not going to reach an agreement. Besides, you have
previously complained that my explanations were unnecessarily long.

But since you bring it up and to sum up, I find completely reasonable for
FFmpeg to provision hardware with the feature necessary to test your work,
such as AVX-512 and Vulkan video decoding. But:
1) You already have been provided such hardware in the form of a desktop
computer (and I am told that it was extremely expensive).
2) In general it makes more sense to get a desktop than a laptop for that
purpose.

Leaving aside those specific hardware requirements, I think it is completely
reasonable for you to have a laptop, as most of us probably do. But I also
think that it is not reasonable for the foundation to pay for personal
laptops.

Maybe you need a laptop specifically to work on FFmpeg for whatever reason.
Then a cheap laptop for remote access, as Michael suggested, sounds like a
reasonable compromise to me. Nevertheless, I think that:
- If your employment requires you to work away from your desktop a lot, then
your employer should provide the laptop.
- If you want to work from your couch or from the beach (figuratively), that is
really on you.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/