[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: AVX512-capable laptop

Lynne dev at lynne.ee
Mon Jan 15 19:36:51 EET 2024

Jan 15, 2024, 17:02 by remi at remlab.net:

> Le maanantaina 15. tammikuuta 2024, 16.59.40 EET Lynne a écrit :
>
>> I've been pinging this for a week now and he hasn't reiterated
>> his position again or made it clearer.
>>

> I think my position was clear. I don't see the point in rereiterating it
> whilst we are evidently not going to reach an agreement. Besides, you have
> previously complained that my explanations were unnecessarily long.
>
> But since you bring it up and to sum up, I find completely reasonable for
> FFmpeg to provision hardware with the feature necessary to test your work,
> such as AVX-512 and Vulkan video decoding. But:
> 1) You already have been provided such hardware in the form of a desktop
> computer (and I am told that it was extremely expensive).
> 2) In general it makes more sense to get a desktop than a laptop for that
> purpose.

I do not have AVX-512 capable system, and I iterated my concerns
with using a shared machine in another thread.

> Leaving aside those specific hardware requirements, I think it is completely
> reasonable for you to have a laptop, as most of us probably do. But I also
> think that it is not reasonable for the foundation to pay for personal
> laptops.

It's a machine that I will use during travels too, specifically to do FFmpeg
development on.
We're not a foundation either, as far as I know - SPI manages the fund
completely, with only the liaison needing to make a request, provided
there's consensus.

If you think it's reasonable, you shouldn't block it.
If you have conditions, you should concisely state them.
If you think this is entirely unreasonable and falls outside of the scope of
the project's donation funds, then I would expect you to apply the
same pragmatic standards when it comes to future refund requests,
be it personal choices such as parking and travel expenses.