[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jan 29 19:43:17 EET 2024

Le maanantaina 29. tammikuuta 2024, 19.27.14 EET Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> Also FFmpeg has been part of Google summer of code for many many years
> and also in the past in outreachy. All these projects payed "students"
> for work they did.
> From a legal point of view, these are probably very similar
>
> Mysteriously, there was a total absence of similar drama there.
> I wonder how it could have been possible to do that for over a decade
> with not one instance of drama or problems like here.

Google funding GSoC students to work on FFmpeg. And nobody objected agains the
core idea of STF funding developers to work on FFmpeg.

The "drama" is about how and through whom the funding goes. That drama
couldn't be had for GSoC because how was however Google decides, and there was
no intermediary to go through (money went straight from Google to the
students).

--
レミ・デニ-クールモン
http://www.remlab.net/