[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Jan 29 20:11:19 EET 2024

On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 07:43:17PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le maanantaina 29. tammikuuta 2024, 19.27.14 EET Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> > Also FFmpeg has been part of Google summer of code for many many years
> > and also in the past in outreachy. All these projects payed "students"
> > for work they did.
> > From a legal point of view, these are probably very similar
> >
> > Mysteriously, there was a total absence of similar drama there.
> > I wonder how it could have been possible to do that for over a decade
> > with not one instance of drama or problems like here.
>
> Google funding GSoC students to work on FFmpeg. And nobody objected agains the
> core idea of STF funding developers to work on FFmpeg.
>

> The "drama" is about how and through whom the funding goes.

ok, elaborate please

All FFmpeg money has always been handled through SPI or associated entities
Its under the control of the community and its transparent and
the take 0% fee.

And very important what do you propose ?
Should we reject the maybe 200k € grant we could get from STF now ?
I mean is that really what people suggest here ?
Not to mention we will end up with SPI or another similar entity
again after long discussions and votes. There is no majority for a
intransparent corporate entity.

And i was looking for a EU entity similar to SPI myself since a long time
Iam sure there are some but i failed to find them.
The one we used previously is not usable ATM. Others i found take non zero
fees. And again "for profit entities" have opposition

> That drama
> couldn't be had for GSoC because how was however Google decides, and there was
> no intermediary to go through (money went straight from Google to the
> students).

SPI handles all the GSoC mentor money.
And lets just assume it would handle the students money too, what difference
would that really make ?

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes