[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Jan 29 20:25:22 EET 2024

Hi Derek

On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 02:38:42PM +0000, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> On 1/28/2024 3:25 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > At this point, what we need is a list of Projects so we can submit an application to STF
> > at or before 12th Feb. (at the 14th they have a meeting and will review our submission)
> > What STF told us, they need ATM is:
>
> As others have said, the whole model of using discrete projects here seems opposed to
> the actual intent of the STF - maintained and stable OSS long term.

The whole suggestion here is based on what STF and SPI said. There was a conference
between SPI and STF where they worked the details out.
Also all the things SPI told us had STF in CC.

I think you should try to bring the work you want funded into the framework
that they told us to use. Instead of complaining

> Furthermore, we *already* have a bunch of money sitting in SPI funds that *is* suitable
> for use on discete projects, but it never gets used. It is a poor way to encourage useful
> work, IMO.

Theres a very big difference. we have around 100k USD in SPI

STF has a lower limit of 150.000 € so we actually need to ask them for
at least 150k to be qualified IIUC
And honestly if you reject that, i just dont understand you.
"Estimated costs: The cost of the work described in the application must exceed €150,000 (current minimum)."

AT no point could we have done anything with SPI money in a similar
magnitude. In fact trying to use SPI money for any work failed because of it
not being enough.

If you fake or manipulate statistics in a paper in physics you will never
get a job again.
If you fake or manipulate statistics in a paper in medicin you will get
a job for life at the pharma industry.