[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Jonatas L. Nogueira jesusalva at spi-inc.org
Mon Jan 29 20:46:27 EET 2024

Please keep in mind we're a public charity using public money from
taxpayers, which means we need a criteria for payments and that said
payments must be issued objectively. The GA might be able to distribute
money with subjective criterias... But not this specific money which is
being discussed. I mean, anyone would get mad if their elected officials
did that with tax money, so obviously the same will extend here. (Remember
the time when an infamous mayor used public money to fix only the roads
surrounding his home? Yeah, let's not do this, alright?)

If commits are a no-go because FFmpeg has internal governance issues on how
those happen, we can think of something else, as long as it retains the
objectiveness expected from the use of public money. But we're putting the
cart ahead of the horse. Please don't get bogged down by the details, move
forward with the scope of work — that's the written version of how STF
funds can serve both STF as FFmpeg's purposes. A journey of a thousand
miles begins with a single step, if you focus on the future steps you'll
trip, fall, and lose the opportunity for the sponsorship.

There are only a couple weeks longer to finish the Scope of Work, and that
blocks pretty much everything. STF said itself that the other details can
be discussed later.

Michael: It's not very dissimilar, no. X.Org recently made something
similar to Outreachy, the Endless Vacations of Code program (EVoC), if you
prefer to make it more similar to that it might be possible.

A few things to keep in mind in such a case: The stipend is fixed and
agreed beforehand, there are less reports and payments to make, you can
only hire in an educational capability (so not the staff you're looking
for), it is less suitable for continuous tasks (which was the original
issue), and you still need the Scope of Work before it begins.

I believe you can actually do both via contracts as via education programs
if you wanted, but the latter might be of limited use to you.

Att.,
--
Jonatas L. Nogueira (“jesusalva”)
Board of Directors Member