[FFmpeg-devel] Indefinite ban request [RFC] Was: Re: [FFmpeg-trac] #10882(undetermined:new): swscale wastefully scales luma during yuv420p -> yuv422p

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Mar 10 05:00:09 EET 2024

On Sun, Mar 10, 2024 at 02:36:48AM +0100, epirat07 at gmail.com wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2024, at 2:25, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > Some members of the CC want to indefinitely ban Balling
> > from trac. And as our doc/community.texi says:
> > "Indefinite bans from the community must be confirmed by the General Assembly, in a majority vote."
> >
> > Thus some CC member wishes to involve the public here
> > (really theres no other option, the GA cannot discuss/vote on what it doesnt know)
> >
> > Also people have asked for more transparency and i strongly agree with transparency.
> >
> > As reference, and to make it possible for the community to discuss
> > this easily without too much google searching. Ive attached the
> > list of all changes in trac done by Balling.
> >
> > I do not and never did support permanently banning contributors.
> >
> > In summary: since 2019
> >     842 comment0' changed
> >     389 comment1' changed
> >     176 comment2' changed
> >      87 comment3' changed
> >      49 comment4' changed
> >      24 comment5' changed
> >      12 comment6' changed
> >       6 comment7' changed
> >       4 comment8' changed
> >       3 comment9' changed
> >    2194 comment' changed
> >      10 component' changed
> >      12 description' changed
> >      29 keywords' changed
> >      37 owner' changed
> >       8 priority' changed
> >       7 reproduced' changed
> >     291 resolution' changed
> >     537 status' changed
> >      32 summary' changed
> >       2 type' changed
> >      11 version' changed
> >

> I already have an opinion about this topic due to various things I read from
> him on various OSS projects communication channels, but I am wondering
> how the attached document is helpful for the GA to get an idea of  what
> this is about?
>
> Do you expect us to go through all of this list and visit each Trac ticket
> and look at what they wrote there?
>
> Maybe I am missing something here on the purpose of this document.

Its unbiased information, its simply the full list of changes done by the
user id on trac
One can read a random subset of the comments/changes or fetch the referred
tickets and run some AI over all and ask for a summary

If one already has formed an oppinion or does not want to vote then one can
also ignore it. Or maybe the community will decide against a vote.

I just tried to provide what i can so people have the information if they want
it.

To me, every contributor is valuable. I want people to work together as a
team. But if people are asking for others to be banned thats a sign
something is not right.

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
than the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.