[FFmpeg-user] New user question

Dave Blanchard dave at killthe.net
Fri Feb 3 20:59:21 EET 2023

On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 19:45:56 +0100
Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> but to be honest: a subject like "FW: New user question" implies common
> sense isn't present
>
> with common sense the subject would have been "Unknown encoder 'hap'"

Free clue: there is no such thing as "common sense." Not everyone possesses the exact same knowledge and experience.

"New users" in particular aren't exactly known for their deep, intricate knowledge of mailing list/forum etiquette, or how to construct a good subject line. Maybe you haven't been around the internet long enough to have noticed this trend, which I picked up on back in the 90s.

It seems the focus of many members of this group isn't on actually *helping people*, but on policing nonsense "rules violations" or finding some way they can call the user an idiot.

Dave