[FFmpeg-user] GPUs and FFMPEG Streaming

Ferdi Scholten ferdi at sttc-nlp.nl
Mon Jul 17 09:15:51 EEST 2023

Ask:
> As a vintage Television collector, I would like to stream multiple
> video files simultaneously through multiple but specified GPUs and use
> those GPUs
> for the processing and streaming of the files.
>

> Overview:
>
> This project is something I have been wanting to do for a while now
> just never had the hardware nor the time.  I currently have a defunct
> crypto miner that has 8 GPUs but little memory and even less
> processing power.  Ideally I would be able to use a defined GPU for
> the processing of each file. These streams would be sent to a multi head
> modulator
> which in turn would broadcast over air on the specified channels.
>

> Questions:
>
> Is this even possible?
Yes! But this depends on your specific GPU/card. Not all Nvidia cards
support hardware en/decoding. Many cards of the "Quadro " series omit
this, for example the P500 Quadro in my laptop does support CUDA for
parallel data processing, but has no video en/decoding capabilities.

> Does anyone have experience defining the specific ‘CUDA’ device as the
> processor?
For basic FFmpeg setup, including how to use multiple cards there is
information on the Nvidia website. Perhaps this is a good starting
point: https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-ffmpeg-transcoding-guide/