[FFmpeg-user] GPUs and FFMPEG Streaming

Dan Harkless ffmpeg at harkless.org
Mon Jul 17 12:09:53 EEST 2023

On 7/16/2023 11:15 PM, Ferdi Scholten wrote:
> Ask:
> > As a vintage Television collector, I would like to stream multiple
> > video files simultaneously through multiple but specified GPUs and use
> > those GPUs
> > for the processing and streaming of the files.
[...]
> > Is this even possible?
> Yes! But this depends on your specific GPU/card. Not all Nvidia cards
> support hardware en/decoding. Many cards of the "Quadro " series omit
> this, for example the P500 Quadro in my laptop does support CUDA for
> parallel data processing, but has no video en/decoding capabilities.

On Windows, the easiest way I know of to determine video encoding and
decoding ability is to install TechPowerUp's free GPU-Z utility.  You
can see per-format hardware decoding details on the tool's Advanced tab,
with the drop-down on "DXVA 2.0 Hardware Decode".

I'm not aware of a way to see hardware encoding abilities in the
utility, but on the main Graphics Card tab, if you click the Lookup
button, you'll be taken to a page on TechPowerUp's site that lists NVENC
and NVDEC support.

--
Dan Harkless
http://harkless.org/dan/