[FFmpeg-user] Dim audio in parts where there is a lot of wind

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Sat Jun 3 13:24:24 EEST 2023

Michael Koch <astroelectronic at t-online.de> writes:

> Am 02.06.2023 um 23:22 schrieb Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user:
>> Michael Koch <astroelectronic at t-online.de> writes:
>>

>>> What do you have? I won't add everything, but if it's useful for my own
>>> work, and if it's working, then I would add it.
>> Partly maybe things you already have done when looking at your book.
>> Have to look better: it is quite a volume you made.
>> But one thing is to create a video based on several videos with
>> multiple fades based on a configuration file.
>
> Without doubt this can be done with FFmpeg, but in my opinion it's
> easier (and much faster) to do it with other software with a graphical
> user interface, for example DaVinci Resolve.

In the past I tried GUI programs, but I really did not like them.

> Combining several clips with FFmpeg is easy, if no fades are required.
> This can be done with the concat demuxer.
> If fades are required, then things are getting complicated. Or have you
> found an easy solution?

I spend a ton of time on it (if I had known beforehand how much time I
was going to spend …), but I now have a very easy solution.

I create a configuration file like:
    4 mkv ts mkv
    © 2023 Cecil Westerhof - Cecil at Decebal.nl
    langeLijn1a a   00:00   02:02   hlslice
    langeLijn1b b   00:00   01:36   vertclose
    langeLijn1c c   00:00   00:51   slideup
    langeLijn1d d   00:00   03:00   wiperight
    langeLijn1e e   00:00   01:56   circleopen
    langeLijn1f f   00:00   02:30   dummy

The first line contains fade time in seconds, input extension,
intermediate extension and output extension.
The second line has the copyright message to be put into the video.
The rest of the lines contain input file, name intermediate file,
start in input file, end in input file and fade to use.

There is an option to continue where you left off and to generate only
the fade parts. (If you want to check timing and types of fades.)

When I run on my more as six year old hardware:
    time makeXfadeVideo.sh langeLijn1

it generates:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH9S09ddNnE&list=PLe-rCbRhJlc6KcnMN8-ZrsVAEMhZgWOMu

And output of time for the 11:35 long video:
    real    17m8.14s
    user    53m49.96s
    sys     0m40.27s
    perc    318.08

Only generating the fades is a lot faster:
    time makeXfadeVideo.sh langeLijn1 --fades-only

gives:
    real    1m40.02s
    user    5m22.23s
    sys     0m7.76s