[FFmpeg-user] Recording of German IP TV Channels fail after some time

Claus Dietrich clausdietrich at nexgo.de
Sun Jun 11 17:34:51 EEST 2023

I wrote a Linux application which allows the recording of IP TV streams
from the Internet through programmable timers. It works well but
recording of the prime German TV channel "ZDF" always fails after some
time (something between 5 to 120 minutes). The recording of other
channels like "ARTE" also fail from time to time.

My application uses ffmpeg V 4.2.7 and the shell command:

ffmpeg -y -i
http://zdf-hls-15.akamaized.net/hls/live/2016498/de/veryhigh/master.m3u8
-vcodec copy -acodec copy /home/claus/out.ts

Using this as CLI command provides the same (bad) result. I never
noticed any error message and the terminal activity always continued
normally. The only indicator for failure was the output file which stops
growing when recording fails.

Recording of ZDF and ARTE with VLC works reliable but is no option
because of the much higher CPU and network load.

I would be very grateful if someone can help.

Best regards

Claus