[FFmpeg-user] Is there any good reason why FFmpeg doesn't do "-vcodec copy" automatically.

Stéphane Archer archerstephane at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 01:21:20 EEST 2023

Dear Reindl Harald,

Seeing the sarcastic tone of your emails and finishing your emails with
"case closed" when someone is asking a question and is opening a discussion
doesn't make you appear smart, on the contrary actually.
Yes, you can always specify "-vcodec copy" when you need to, that is not
what the discussion is about.
It's about whether we can make it automatic so we don't have to specify it.

"case closed" lol

Stéphane Archer

On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 4:39 PM Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
wrote:

> Am 30.09.23 um 21:29 schrieb Carl Zwanzig:
> > On 9/30/2023 12:07 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >> is there a good reason to throw a video file through ffmpeg when you
> >> don't want to touch it?
> >
> > Changing the container or working only with the audio or subtitle tracks.
> >
> > So yes, there is a good reason
>
> whatever the default is you will always have workloads where it don't
> match - hence you have options to specify your needs
>
> if you have a godd reason for "-vcodec copy" the specify it, case closed

Best Regards,

Stephane Archer