[FFmpeg-user] How to determine the quantization of 2 video files?

David Niklas deference at null.net
Sat Sep 2 00:42:22 EEST 2023

Hello,
On the internet archive, (the site is legal from what I've read), you can
watch videos. They often allow you to see them in several formats.
So the question came to me, which is the most lossless?

I could find this out from the quantization, or possibly comparing the
two if such metadata were unavailable and analysis of one video did not
produce definitive results.

Here's an example:
https://archive.org/details/Robin_Hood_10_The_Ordeal

It's encoded with h.264, mpeg4, and ogg video.

Does anyone know how to determine the quantization of 2 video files?

Thanks!