[MPlayer-dev-eng] deterministic builds

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Dec 23 20:40:48 CET 2003

On Tuesday, 23 December 2003 at 19:59, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> [2003-12-23 19:45:32 +0100]:
>
> > > What kind of package manager you're talking about ? If you think about
> > > rpm oder apt - they're available at this stage - evryting they can is
> > > installing and tracking files and checking dependency information
> > > (which must be supplied by the developer)
> >
> > Not true. RPM autodetects dependencies. Only build-time dependencies
> > must be supplied manually.
>
> Aren't we talking about _BUILDING_ ?
> Once we've build the package, its quite easy. But 'til this point its a
> quite long way.
>
> At some point, someone must tell rpm what dependencies to put into the package.
> It cant find them out by itself.
>
> I want to move all this into a single point: the project description.

No, you misunderstand. RPM autodetects what libraries a binary is
dependent on at the end of the build process and puts that information
into a package. The only information you need to supply is which
development packages need to be installed before the source package can be
rebuilt.

> > > It comes from the wrong side. I want to enable what i _want_.
> > > The build system may tell me, whats available, if I ask it.
> >
> > >From the point of view of package managers, yes. But from the point
> > of user compiling the software from source, this is perfect.
> No, I dont think so. It works just for those ones who install one package after
> another and dont ever think about removing or upgrading old stuff.

No. It doesn't work well for those who build software themselves from source
and install new versions over and over. But that's what package managers
are for. If you're not competent enough to deal with that, then you should
just use binary packages provided by other people who are.

> Why should evryone have to do evrything by hand (from fetching the tarball to
> building and installing) if it could be done with one single command ?

Why would an ordinary user want to waste time compiling from the source?
That's what binary packages are for. Just download and install.

> (ie. package-install mplayer --auto ... package-upgrade mplayer --auto ... )

I don't understand what you wanted to say in the above example.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer.html