[MPlayer-dev-eng] container format

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Feb 6 16:48:58 CET 2003

Hi

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 17:57, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'd really like to see a new container format soon. So far I've told
> the Matroska people that I'd write Linux tools and MPlayer support for
> it, but unfortunately the very early code they have right now will be a
> pain in the a** to implement in MPlayer (without writing C++, but
> that's only one of the problems).
>
> If you put together some specs then I'll happily write ncfdbmptools
> (new container format developped by mplayer people ;)). I have
> experience with my ogmtools, and would love to continue working on
> container formats (somehow I like that. I lack most basic knowledge
> about video issues and compression issues, so container formats and
> (de)multiplexers are something I might be good at ;)).
>
> Consider me 'on board' if you're seriously planning on developping such
> a format.
i didnt seriously plan it yesterday but, it seems alot of ppl want a new
container format (asf,mov/mp4 are patented AFAIK, avi/rm sucks, ogg has alot
of unneeded overhead, and seems more designed toward audio instead of video,
at least the docs i found are quite audio specific, it surely could be
improved though ...)

anyway, first draft of the MPlayer container format is in DOCS/tech/mpcf.txt
comments VERY welcome :)

Michael