[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Russian terminology (draft)

Daniel A. Nagy nagydani at mast.queensu.ca
Sat Feb 8 19:25:09 CET 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:21:44AM +0200, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:

> sometimes 'заголовок' for title and 'глава' for chapter is better...

In case of DVDs let's stick with the proposed terminology. In Russia, they
don't use book terminology for cinematography, and I propose to use
cinematographic terminology for DVDs. They happen to coincide in English,
but that's just an artifact. In case of books, however, you are obviously
correct.

> >implementation	исполнение
>
> or else 'реализация'

Okay. Whatever...

> >decrypted	расшифрованнуй
>                           ^ ы

Of course. That's a typo.

> >to brute force	форсировать
>
> exactly - 'грубой силой' AFAIK

I'm talking about the verb here. In case of "by brute force", you are correct.

> >plain text	открытый текст
>
> isn't better 'обычный текст'? 'открытый текст' isn't understandable
> without context so it's bad.

No. I'm not talking about "plain text" as opposed to "html" or "postscript"
(in which case you're right).  What I mean is the cryptographic term for
unencrypted data, which was "открытый текст", last time I studied
cryptography in Russian.

> P.S. Russian is my native. ;)

For me too. It's my first and native language, but it's not the language in
which I have learnt most of things about computing.

--
Daniel