[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: lavc-Options for *BEST*

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Feb 9 10:03:04 CET 2003

Steve Lhomme wrote:
>> i would like to know whats the advantage of using these, it would
>> certainly mean a 5-10x amount of time needed to support these in some
>> simple environments (embeded cpus with limited memory & slow cpu & no
>> fpu, perhaps with no available c++ compiler)
>

> You probably skipped the Profile part of the specs then...

2 more things to add :
- I work in the embedded world (mobile phone) so believe me, I know the
hard requirements there. I never planned to embed C++ in very small devices.
- As Frank Klemm said once, for a format to become an ISO standard
(which is not our goal) there has to be 2 implementations to prove ti's
working. We chose ours because it was the fastest/cleanest path. But I
hope there will be other implementations later.