[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: install localized manpages +

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 13 18:22:11 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 06:35:06PM +0200, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
>     Hi, D Richard Felker III!
>
> Sometime (on Thursday, February 13 at 16:32) I've received something...
> [.......]
> >I have lots of software installed and don't have any such directories
> >already, and I'm going to be annoyed if mplayer starts making all
> >sorts of extra dirs under $mandir every time I make install. It's just
> >a mess and wastes time and disk space and leads to clutter. The
> >default should be to install ONLY the language selected at compile
> >time, in the $mandir/man1, and then optionally install others with
> >some (disabled-by-default) configure option.
>
>     You have to respect others. :)  You may set environment variable

So do you, bu not cluttering their systems with crap. If every other
localized piece of software I installed knows how to properly install
man pages, then mplayer should too.

> LINGUAS="" and so you will have no localized manpages at all. :)  For
> example do it in Makefile.in (fill LINGUAS by ./configure):

> LINGUAS =
>
> install-man:
>     if [ -n "$(LINGUAS)" ]; then
>         for i in $(LINGUAS); do
>             mkdir -p $(mandir)/$$i/man1
>             install -m 644 DOCS/$$i/mplayer.1 $(mandir)/$$i/man1
>         done
>     fi

This is invalid. For loops with no items after in are not valid in
Bourne shell.

How about instead of:

             mkdir -p $(mandir)/$$i/man1
             install -m 644 DOCS/$$i/mplayer.1 $(mandir)/$$i/man1

doing:

             test -d $(mandir)/$$i/man1 && install -m 644 DOCS/$$i/mplayer.1 $(mandir)/$$i/man1

Then the multi-lingual man pages will get installed only for people
who already have such a setup on their systems, and only for the
languages they want.

Rich