[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF: Features and Goals

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Fri Feb 14 16:10:50 CET 2003

Hi

I've read all the postings in the archive on this subject and the
mpcf.txt (though I don't grok all of it) but I've seen no explicit
mention of this feature:

Will mpcf files be readable before writing is complete?

It would be useful to be able to start playing (or re-encoding) a
file while it is still being written. AFAIK most existing formats
do not allow this.

More generally, the goals of the project are not really spelled out.
It seems to me (an admittedly naiive user) that there are two types
of container required, and they have conflicting requirements:
-the first is a video creation/manipulation format
-the second is a media distribution format
Which is mpcf supposed to be? Matroska has got some stick here but
I think it is aiming to be a distribution format, whereas IMHO mpcf
should be aiming to be a creation/manipulation format. Or am I
completely off-base?

Martin