[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages +

Andreas Hess jaska at gmx.net
Wed Feb 19 18:35:56 CET 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 05:08:27PM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> >--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>
> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 08:19:57PM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
>
> > > The majority of the people is always silent. Installing man pages of
> > > neglectible size won't harm anyone.
> > Don't installing them either.
>
> Yes, it will: they will be missing in case you need them.

As a lot of people stated in this thread, there is no case where you
might need polish manpages, if you don't speak polish. And if you need
polish manpages, be happy with your LINGUAS="pl" ./configure.

> > And once again the question is, why is it the proper way, if just mplayer
> > has this behaviour and no other program.
>
> a) other programs are system programs with seperately maintained man pages -
>    many program authors don't bother about man pages at all.

Huh? irssi, ntop, nmap, nessus, ettercap, wine, etc. are all system
programs?

> b) Every gettext using program behaves that way with respect to
>    translations.

No.

[...]

> ./configure --without-jpeg
>
> and
>
> ./configure LINGUAS=""
> (which doesn't work because someone thought reinventing the wheel poorly is
> a good idea)
>
> and
>
> LINGUAS="" ./configure ?

If this is the proper way, maybe we should change mplayer to this
behaviour.

DEVICE="cdrom" FILE="movie.mpeg" VIDEO_OUT="xv" AUDIO_OUT="oss" mplayer

Andi if no variables are given, then mplayer will start searching all
harddrives for videos.

[...]

> I'm explaining you the standard behaviour, I'm not babbling. You accused me
> of name-calling, then why don't you behave any better?
>
> Also, I never said that it should install all manpages for those requesting
> the opposite, stop inventing nonsense.

But you said, that everyone, who's requesting nothing gets all manpages.
Sound much more reasonable and logic.

[...]

> See above, and explain me the difference between a (using your style:)
> environment variable and a bogus configure option.

Yes, please see above.

> > Ah, now I understand, you're one of these users who has everything installed,
> > 20 different editors, 20 different MTAs, 20 different versions of fortune, just
> > because someone someday could need them.
>
> Wie kommst Du eigentlich auf dieses schmale Brett? You're just again putting
> words or opinions in my mouth that I never said.

Where is the difference between 20 unneeded manpages and 20 unneeded MTAs.

[...]

Feel free, to go on, for me now the EOD is reached. If you want, you've
won, everything you've stated was right and sounded logic. And maybe
someone just applies my latest patch, so that just the majority of the
users can be happy.