[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages +

Rüdiger Kuhlmann mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Thu Feb 20 15:37:20 CET 2003

>--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 05:08:27PM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> > >--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>

> > > Don't installing them either.
> > Yes, it will: they will be missing in case you need them.
> As a lot of people stated in this thread, there is no case where you
> might need polish manpages, if you don't speak polish.

Well, only you stated _that_ - it's wrong: pretty much any time you compile
it for not only your own personal when you can't guerantee that no Polish
etc. person might need that.

> > > And once again the question is, why is it the proper way, if just mplayer
> > > has this behaviour and no other program.
> > a) other programs are system programs with seperately maintained man pages -
> >    many program authors don't bother about man pages at all.
> Huh? irssi, ntop, nmap, nessus, ettercap, wine, etc. are all system
> programs?

Please name me one program with included man pages that doesn't install all
of them by default, but offers a configure option to install some/all of
them.

Oh and in the future don't come with programs that simply have no localized
man pages. Or don't bother to install them at all, because that's even more
broken.

> > b) Every gettext using program behaves that way with respect to
> >    translations.
> No.

Yes. Check your facts.

> > ./configure --without-jpeg
> >
> > and
> >
> > ./configure LINGUAS=""
> > (which doesn't work because someone thought reinventing the wheel poorly is
> > a good idea)
> >
> > and
> >
> > LINGUAS="" ./configure ?
>
> If this is the proper way, maybe we should change mplayer to this
> behaviour.

Good idea. Your explaination of how these ways of giving configure options
fundamentally differ is still missing. And have a look at some non-ancient
autoconf for specifying evironment variables on the command line.

> DEVICE="cdrom" FILE="movie.mpeg" VIDEO_OUT="xv" AUDIO_OUT="oss" mplayer
> Andi if no variables are given, then mplayer will start searching all
> harddrives for videos.

Go on trolling.

> > I'm explaining you the standard behaviour, I'm not babbling. You accused me
> > of name-calling, then why don't you behave any better?
> > Also, I never said that it should install all manpages for those requesting
> > the opposite, stop inventing nonsense.
> But you said, that everyone, who's requesting nothing gets all manpages.
> Sound much more reasonable and logic.

I didn't say someone who requests nothing should get everything. I said
someone who doesn't make a request should get everything, because that's the
standard way for good reasons.

> > See above, and explain me the difference between a (using your style:)
> > environment variable and a bogus configure option.
> Yes, please see above.

You mean above where you don't answer that question as well?

> > > Ah, now I understand, you're one of these users who has everything installed,
> > > 20 different editors, 20 different MTAs, 20 different versions of fortune, just
> > > because someone someday could need them.
> > Wie kommst Du eigentlich auf dieses schmale Brett? You're just again putting
> > words or opinions in my mouth that I never said.
> Where is the difference between 20 unneeded manpages and 20 unneeded MTAs.

The difference is that several man pages can be usefull at the same time can
be usefull, while several MTAs cannot.

> Feel free, to go on, for me now the EOD is reached.

Y'know, the "I'm not listening" trick doesn't work neither on me nor on
public mailing lists in general. The "I don't read your arguments at all"
trick neither.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.