[MPlayer-dev-eng] Transport Stream demuxer help

Nico nsabbi at libero.it
Sat Feb 22 14:44:09 CET 2003

Hello Arpi,

I wonder if you received the "chained" version that I posted; if not I
can resend it if you want.

Reasoning on what you wrote me earlier, I came to the conclusion that we
have the following problems:

- in the case of a file with more than one audio/video stream I need to
calculate the bitrate of each of them if I want to seek

- the type of stream (audio/video) isn't detectable based on the TS pid
alone, so at least some minimal PES parsing has to be made
(or demux_mpg should somehow let me know it); I can't even pass all the
payloads that I find to demux_mpg, otherwise I'll end up mixing
different (video/audio) streams' payloads

- do you believe that resetting the pts to 0 at start (rather than let
it begin from its announced value) would be preferrable? I think so.

I'm still improving the TS->ES version, and  I made a lot of progresses:
now I can play almost all the samples in ftp.mplayerhq.hu (the broken
ones such as capture.hunan are harder), and there's some basic seeking
working.

I also made the demuxer respect the ids and -nosound, but I changed the
ranges for audio_id, video_id and sub_id to 0..8192.
Is there a reason to keep them up to 255?

Thanks,
       Nico