[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing dependancy on libungif

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed May 21 12:08:51 CEST 2003


> The gif spec is a fairly simple one.  So I wrote a gif demuxer using
> mplayer's stream functions.  It didn't take very long, and seems
> reasonably clean to me.  So I wrote an lzw decoder, as that's the only
> thing left to remove dependancy on libungif.  (I don't like that
> library's interface much, and it's been stagnant for years.)  I'm still
> trying to debug my lzw code, but it's nearly done.  Is anyone interested
> in seeing this in mplayer?  Or how about G2?  I'll send a patch to each
> list as soon as it's done.

I'm interested in it for G2, for sure.
I don't like to depend on silly libs for so simpel functions.
(I also rewrote ogg demuxer in 1kB instead of using 180k libogg)

> Further plans of mine include adding lzw encoding support and finally
> being able to use -vo gif89a without eating my whole hard drive with
> "uncompressed" gifs (which are bigger than raw unencoded indexes when
> using all 256 colors).

> And for those of you concerned about software patents on the lzw
> routines, they expire in the US on June 19th of this year.


A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu

More information about the MPlayer-dev-eng mailing list