[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing dependancy on libungif

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Tue May 20 21:02:07 CEST 2003

Hello,

The gif spec is a fairly simple one.  So I wrote a gif demuxer using
mplayer's stream functions.  It didn't take very long, and seems
reasonably clean to me.  So I wrote an lzw decoder, as that's the only
thing left to remove dependancy on libungif.  (I don't like that
library's interface much, and it's been stagnant for years.)  I'm still
trying to debug my lzw code, but it's nearly done.  Is anyone interested
in seeing this in mplayer?  Or how about G2?  I'll send a patch to each
list as soon as it's done.

Further plans of mine include adding lzw encoding support and finally
being able to use -vo gif89a without eating my whole hard drive with
"uncompressed" gifs (which are bigger than raw unencoded indexes when
using all 256 colors).

And for those of you concerned about software patents on the lzw
routines, they expire in the US on June 19th of this year.

--Joey