[MPlayer-dev-eng] HUP Award 2004 - favorite video player

Guillaume Poirier poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 18:43:55 CET 2004

Hi,

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:50:28 +0100, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger writes:
> > E.g. I personally consider translations from english more often annoying than
> > useful (first thing I do on a system is setting LC_MESSAGES to POSIX) ;-)
>
> I generally prefer English original to translations in everything I
> read, but if you do not have (sufficient) English skills, translations
> are absolutely vital.

I have to admit that I do also have my whole MPlayer installation in
English, even though I maintain the French manpage. I know, that's a
pitty...
... but I just figure that as nobody else seems to be able (or is
willing to) to do the translation, better have it done by someone who
has some knowledge in both English and multimedia.

> > I don't really think MPlayer is an important project, but it is
> > interesting.
>
> I strongly disagree here, multimedia is one of the main applications
> of modern desktop computers.  If I look around, people use their home
> computers more often to watch movies than for office applications.

... which explains why MPlayer wins so may prizes! ;-)

Regards,
Guillaume