[MPlayer-dev-eng] HUP Award 2004 - favorite video player

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Dec 22 21:06:40 CET 2004

Hi,
> > E.g. I personally consider translations from english more often annoying than
> > useful (first thing I do on a system is setting LC_MESSAGES to POSIX) ;-)
>
> I generally prefer English original to translations in everything I
> read, but if you do not have (sufficient) English skills, translations
> are absolutely vital.

That's fits my point very well. It's important to some, to others it is
annoying at most.

> > I don't really think MPlayer is an important project, but it is
> > interesting.
>
> I strongly disagree here, multimedia is one of the main applications
> of modern desktop computers.  If I look around, people use their home
> computers more often to watch movies than for office applications.

Well, being used doesn't make it something important in my view. And
people very often do and like really unimportant things ;-)
Well, don't try to get too much sense out of what I am saying, I'm just
making the point that whatever you will be saying it won't make much
more sense ;-)
Also I have to say I can't see much sense in collecting lots of awards -
they make mostly sense for projects that are not so well-known and like this
can get some attention - maybe those making the awards should fine-tune
their categories to give smaller, less known projects a better chance...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger