[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Jul 22 14:37:45 CEST 2004

attila writes:

> > The libdvdcss library makes use of the DeCSS algorithm, that has been
> > declared illegal in some country (e.g. USA and Germany), so before adding
> > it I suggest you to make sure it is ok to use it in your country.

Just to clarify again: libdvdcss does NOT use DeCSS, it cracks the
weak cryptographic algorithm CSS directly.

As a sidenote: At LinuxTag we were constantly asked whether it was
possible to watch DVDs with MPlayer and/or whether this was legal.
This is quite an irony since MPlayer is most probably used to watch
pirated movies more than anything else and watching a DVD you bought
is clearly one of the legal uses of MPlayer.  Nevertheless we should
maybe issue some sort of statement on the subject some day.  There is
quite a bit of confusion and FUD making the rounds about CSS, DeCSS,
libdvdcss and DVDs.

> I know i'm late, but i have to say again, that there are
> countries where CSS (yes, CSS not DeCSS) is illegal.
> One example i know quite well is Switzerland where copyright laws
> (yes, the evil thing called copyright) prohibits country based
> restrictions on distribution of any artwork.

All hail switzerland :-)

Diego