[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Jul 31 04:44:26 CEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:37:45PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> attila writes:
> >
> > > The libdvdcss library makes use of the DeCSS algorithm, that has been
> > > declared illegal in some country (e.g. USA and Germany), so before adding
> > > it I suggest you to make sure it is ok to use it in your country.
>
> Just to clarify again: libdvdcss does NOT use DeCSS, it cracks the
> weak cryptographic algorithm CSS directly.

Ack, this is still not very well known.

> As a sidenote: At LinuxTag we were constantly asked whether it was
> possible to watch DVDs with MPlayer and/or whether this was legal.
> This is quite an irony since MPlayer is most probably used to watch
> pirated movies more than anything else and watching a DVD you bought
> is clearly one of the legal uses of MPlayer.  Nevertheless we should
> maybe issue some sort of statement on the subject some day.  There is
> quite a bit of confusion and FUD making the rounds about CSS, DeCSS,
> libdvdcss and DVDs.

Ack, we should publish a joint statement together with vlc and xine
on all 3 websites. I really think we should start more lobying on
this issue. If we dont prevent the MPAA/RIAA from making it illegal
to watch/listen to what you bought and thus legaly own now, we wont
be able to change that back in the (dark) future.

One of the things we should do is to collect a list of
countries with laws that allow reverse engineering or make
those DRM shit (while i add CSS to DRM as it's an early form of it)
illegal and then promote them as advanced countries.

BTW: while we are at DRM, does someone know how DRM works
together with fair use ? AFAIK fair use is a right and
DRM prevents its exercise (aka, limits your freedom and
can thus be called unamerican ;)

> > I know i'm late, but i have to say again, that there are
> > countries where CSS (yes, CSS not DeCSS) is illegal.
> > One example i know quite well is Switzerland where copyright laws
> > (yes, the evil thing called copyright) prohibits country based
> > restrictions on distribution of any artwork.
>
> All hail switzerland :-)

Hail Helvetia!

			Attila Kinali