[MPlayer-dev-eng] a few nut suggestions [Info packets and possible uses]

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sun Oct 3 22:41:11 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> 1. info packets
> what if we change things a little bit, and require the existing type
> of info packet to be at the beginning of the file, but add a fourth
> stream type, info streams, with which users could include interleaved
> metainfo?
Having a metadata stream isn't bad, you can ignore it easly.
the problem is that you need to have a good metadata stream definition
or you'll end up with non compatible metadata streams.

> 2. language code
> headers to become ignored just because the software doesn't provide a
> good interface to accessing them.
A good solution is keep the field for compatibility/legacy support, and
then define in the info header/stream a way to specify the language.
if there isn't any info about it you pick the default. If just a
language is in use you have just the info header, if the language change
during the stream you have even language information in the metadata
stream (useful if you need a way to have forced subtitle because of
language changes)

> 3. m$-specific and apple-specific headers
> player is using a m$ or apple binary codec to play the file, it can
> regenerate the bitmapinfoheader or whatever crap is needed to make
> this codec happy based on the other info in the nut header. we don't
> need to explicitly include this dumb header which is associated with a
> specific piece of software (one decoder for the format) rather than
> with the audio or video format itself.

We should make sure at least one implementation of nut can provide a way
to get those additional information. Again that belongs to the info
header, and again it should end up in a good definition of what you can
have in the info packet.

lu

--
Luca Barbato